Embroidery is the technique of decorating textiles and fabrics by use of needle and thread. Originally, embroidery was crafted by hand. This dates to around 3000 years ago with the invention of needle and thread. This form of art was only preserved for men and not women. Needless to say, it was practiced by only the skilled and talented boys. They learnt this art from their masters through apprenticeship and this would last more than 10 years in order to perfect it. The process of embroidery was very time consuming and required a lot of labour. As technology evolved, embroidery machines were invented. This was a major milestone in the embroidery industry.
With the increase in demand for embroidery designs, more inventors and companies sprung up to meet these demands. In the 19th century, embroidery machines were used to craft automated designs. This was an added advantage to embroiderers because they were able to comfortably create more designs with ease and perfection. These embroidery machines became very popular in different cultures world wide. Many different designs were invented and this made embroidery machines to be preferred to hand embroidery.
The first embroidery machines were manually manipulated. A lot of people were required to run the machines. With the change in technology, automated and computerized embroidery machines have been invented. Below is the classification of embroidery machines in relation to the time they were invented;
Mechanical Embroidery Machines
These were the first embroidery machines to be invented. They were manually controlled and required a large labour force to manipulate them and create designs. They also required one to have high skills in embroidery since they were not easy to operate.
They had fewer stitches as compared to the modern ones. These machines are still used to date by some people. They are quiet cheap.
Electronic Embroidery Machines
These machines are easier to operate as compared to the mechanical ones. They are smaller hence; do not require a large workforce to operate on them. They come with a higher number of stitches as compared to the mechanical embroidery machines. They contain multiple in-built designs and therefore, this allows you to concentrate on making embroidery rather than straining in creating designs.
Computerised Embroidery Sewing Machines
These machines use the latest technology today. They contain numerous accessories which include USB ports, internet connection and also touch screen displays. With such a machine, you can easily access the internet to download various designs and also store them on the machine for future use.
These computerized embroidery machines can be very expensive although they come with a vast array of automated options.
Modern technology has really helped in embroidery. The following are some advantages of using embroidery machines;
• You do not have to be skilled in embroidery in order to create your own designs or make designs on fabric. Embroidery machines come with built-in designs.
• With the services of an embroidery machine, you are at liberty to decide what kind of pattern or design you want and input that data in the machine and ultimately they will produce them perfectly. This will reduce cost and time.
• With automated embroidery machines, you do not require a lot of man power to operate them. A single machine can be set to create a vast number of patterns in accordance to the specification of the embroiderer within a short period. This will also save on the cost.
• With the modern embroidery machines, one can easily access thousands of patterns in the internet and download them. As a result, you do not have to strain in creating designs. You can also purchase embroidery software that can create unique designs and stitch patterns.
• With machine embroidery, you can create a variety of designs varying from clothing embroidery, household embroidery, crazy work designs and logo designs. From a commercial perspective, this can be very profitable.
If you have a passion for embroidery, you should opt for the modern computerized embroidery machine. This will give a wide scope of choices to choose from. For beginners who want to venture in the world of embroidery, embroidery machines will be ideal for you because they do no require any skills to operate and with time you will be able to master and perfect your skills.